Skip to main content

Mary Mary. A portal to a world of fine drinking hidden behind sandstone walls

Taking its name from the St Mary's Hospital building that it is set within, Mary Mary showcases Tasmania. Led by Bar Manager Gabriel Da Rocha and Head Sommelier Michael Fisher, our team source local fruits and indigenous botanicals to create Tasmanian inspired cocktails and fill our spirits library with rare, curious, and artisanal spirits from the island and further afield.

As well as the carefully curated list of drinks, there's a selection of small plates from nearby Peppina to enjoy while reimagined classic cocktails are sipped by the fire, at the main bar, or shared in one of the anterooms.

Designed and outfitted by Michael McCann of Dreamtime Australia Design, our classic cocktail bar radiates Tasmanian vibes with leather detailing, marble table tops, lashings of brass and timber, and even the hospital's old coal chute is on display outside the bar.

Mary Mary is a modern recreation of a bygone-era in a reimagined, intimate space.

  • Back

    We pay respect to the traditional and original owners of this land the Muwinina people and acknowledge today's Tasmanian Aboriginal people who are the custodians of this land.
    Pre-European Settlement Aboriginal people have lived in Tasmania for at least 35,000 years. The Aboriginal people of the Hobart area at the time of initial European colonisation were the Muwinina band of the South East Nation. The first European arrivals observed that the area now known as Sullivans Cove was thickly forested with heavy undergrowth.

  • 1847

    St Mary's Hospital constructed (36 Davey Street).

    St Mary's Hospital, a facility for the poorer classes, was designed by William Porden Kay, Director of Public Works. It was built between 1847 and 1848 on the site of the old Customs House, which was partially demolished in the process, although elements of the old Customs House may have been incorporated into the Hospital building. St Mary's Hospital closed in 1862 due to lack of patients, was acquired by the government and became offices for the Lands and Survey Department.

  • 1862

    St Mary's Hospital building occupied by Lands and Survey Department.

    Government Printers Office (GPO) constructed, now referred to as the Red Brick Building, partially demolished in 2014. In 1862, an extension to the former St Mary's Hospital building was constructed to the north for the Government Printers Office, part of what is now referred to as the Red Brick Building. Additions at the rear were constructed in 1899 and 1909-16.

  • 1883

    St Mary's Wall and Salamanca Extension constructed for use by the Lands and Survey Department.

    To provide additional space for the Lands and Survey Department, St Mary's Wall was first constructed to stabilise the steep slope to the east of the building site. The Salamanca Extension was then constructed between 1883 and 1886, reproducing the stone architectural details of the original St Mary's Hospital building.

  • 1959

    Government consolidates whole precinct By 1959 there was no private ownership in the precinct. Over a period of 135 years, the block originally located on the edge of the main town had become a focus of government administration.

  • 2012

    Parliament Square Redevelopment

    The Parliament Square precinct has undergone significant redevelopment since 2012, including construction of 4 Salamanca Place, a new Annexe to Parliament House, and The Tasman.The project has included extensive heritage conservation works to the sandstone buildings as well as alterations to accommodate the new hotel, bar and dining functions.

  • 2021
    Mary Mary opens her doors once again. 
Previous Slide Next Slide


  • SMALL PLATES 5 PM - 9.30 PM